VCUHS Clinical Chemistry Services
Hours of Operation: 24 hours/day - 7 days/week
Call Client Services 804-828-PATH (828-7284); 1-800-363-9234
The VCUHS Clinical Chemistry Laboratory provides STAT and routine laboratory test analysis. The Chemistry Laboratory offers rapid turn-around-time with a highly automated laboratory that performs most tests continuously around the clock. Many of these tests can be performed on fluids other than serum or plasma. For more information, please visit our Pathology Laboratory Services Catalog.
Highlights of our comprehensive menu of testing services include:
- Ethylene Glycol – Measurement of serum ethylene glycol concentration determined by gas chromatography.
- Alcohols - Identification and quantification of methanol, acetone, ethanol, and isopropanol by headspace gas chromatography.
- Drug of abuse screening - Drugs of abuse screening for amphetamines, barbiturates, benzodiazepines, cocaine, opiates, and PCP in urine; Barbiturates, benzodiazepines, cocaine, and opiates in serum. Confirmation by GC/MS available upon request.
- Therapeutic drug monitoring available for a Therapeutic Drugs List (pdf).
- Hemoglobin Fractionation and Quantification - Quantification of major variant hemoglobins (Hgb S, Hgb C, Hgb F, Hgb A, Hgb A2) and identification of rare variants by high performance liquid chromatography.
- Hemoglobin A1c – Quantification of hemoglobin A1c by borate-affinity high performance liquid chromatography. This method is highly specific and does not suffer from interferences due to the presence of variant hemoglobins.
- Lipid Testing – Quantification of lipids with accuracy verified by participation in the CDC Lipid Standardization Program.
- Intraoperative Parathyroid Hormone (iPTH) Testing – Streamlined processing for STAT quantification of PTH during surgery.
- IgA for pediatric testing – Measurement of IgA concentrations with a lower limit of quantification appropriate for pediatric patients.
- Sweat Chloride – Quantification of sweat chloride by coulometric titration, a chloride reference method recommended by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.
In order to ensure proper ordering or interpretation of our testing, we are always happy to make Laboratory Director Consultation readily available.
American Association for Clinical Chemistry (AACC)
American Diabetes Association (ADA)
American Society of Clinical Pathology (ASCP)
Clinical Laboratory Management Association (CLMA)
Clinical & Laboratory Standards Institute (CLSI)
College of American Pathologists (CAP)